Minority Supplier Development China (MSD China) has the ability to certify minority suppliers within China. Certification is carried out through a consistent and identical review of a minority businesses status. The standard procedures adopted nationwide are specified within our Certification Policy and Procedures Manual.
Certified minority suppliers will be included in MSIS (Minority Supplier Information System), an interactive database often used by those purchasing corporations who are registered members of MSD China.
What are China’s ethnic minority groups?
The Current Definition of Ethnic Minorities as determined by the Chinese Government
There are 56 ethnic groups in China. Han, the most populous ethnicity, has 1.137 billion people and accounts for 91.53 % of China’s total population. The remaining 55 ethnic groups, which account for only 8.47 % of the total population, are referred to as ethnic minorities due to their small population number. 5 autonomous regions, 30 autonomous prefectures and 120 autonomous counties as well as 1,256 ethnic townships account form 64% of China's total land mass. The following represent China’s 55 ethnic minority groups: Zhuang, Manchu, Mongolian, Hui, Tibetan, Uygur, Miao, Yi, Bouyei, Korean, Dong, Yao, Bai, Tujia, Hani, Kazak, Dai, Li, Lisu, Va, Lahu, Shui, Dongxiang, Naxi, Jingpo, Kirgiz, Tu, Daur, Mulao, Qiang, Salar, Maonan, Gelo, Xibe, Gaoshan, Blang, Achang, Pumi, Tajik, Nu, Uzbek, Russian, Ewenki, De’ang, Bonan, Yugur, Jing, Jino, Tatar, Dulong, Oroquen, Hezhe, Lhoba, Moinba, She.
What is minority supplier?
Type 1: Minority-owned Enterprise (MBE)
- Located in the People’s Republic of China
- At least 51% owned, operated, and controlled by China’s ethnic minority group members
- For-profit enterprise
Type 2: Minority Business Enterprise in Ethnic Minority Regions
- It must be registered in China’s ethnic minority regions. (Note)
- Its principal office must be located in China’s ethnic minority regions.
- It must be wholly owned and controlled by Chinese citizens, a corporation, a community, or an organization.
- At least 30% of the total employees are Chinese ethnic minorities
Note: Covering 64.5% of China’s total territory, the officially approved Chinese ethnic minority autonomous regions include 5 autonomous regions, 30 autonomous prefectures, and 120 autonomous counties, as well as 1,256 autonomous townships.
Type 3: Minority Craftsman
- Belong to one of the 55 ethnic minority groups of The People’s Republic of China.
- Possess a professional technical certificate issued by The People’s Republic of China.